Friday, March 16, 2007

Dye Again

Today while talking to my DBF he described to me a sweater that one of his proffessor was wearing saying things such as "it was a nice pattern" and using vocabulary such as "cables". When I commented that I found it amusing that he talks about sweaters with me he goes "I can't help it, you talk about it all the fricken time." So sweet. :-)
In other news, LAst night I tried dying again. Mostly because I wanted to try something more amusing than solid colors. I over dyed my purple yarn with food coloring, setting with vinegar and the oven. I also decided to try my hand at "self striping" dyeing, so I wond my teal skein in into a super long skein, and dyed that according to the recipe in self striping sock tutorials. The lime green is from overdyeing with tumeric, set with salt and vinegar; the dark green is from a concentrated solution of green jello with a few drop of green and blue food coloring, set with vinegar; the purple just classic grape koolaide purple :-). I am very happy with how the color turned out, and have destined the yarn for a birthday project for a friend, and am leaning towards a felted bag, but haven't quite decided yet. Either way I am excited at the success of the dyeing experiments :-)

2 comments:

KnittingNutter said...

Congratulations on the dye job. Nice colourwork.

akaijen said...

What happens when you wash food-colored items? I've never tried to dye anything yet. I need to really learn to knit first. ;) I also need more room to spread and grow.

BTW, my husband can speak the language of knitting too. He's into the mechanics of swatching, watching me wrestle with it each time I start up a project. It's pretty different from my dad who viewed my Mom's stash merely as something that too up space in the house.

Good luck with the migraines. You'll probably get a lot of advice about what works and doesn't. But I think everyone has different triggers, so maybe you won't have to give up all the foods and beverages you love.