Thursday, March 8, 2007

Project List

I have finished the hat, but have a headache so am uninspired to get out the camera, pictures tomorrow :-). Along with pictures from my Society of Women in Engineering get together! I am so excited! I know that there are people in physics and engineering who knit, because at the Women in Physical Sciences liquid nitrogen ice cream social I saw someone wearing Tubey. Unfortunately, other than the spotting of Knitty patterns, and my attempts to draw other knitters to me by casually knitting at gatherings, there has been no knit activity at my school. There is no knitting club, there is no mention of Berkeley on the Coffee Shop Stitch N Bitch boards, so I am quite excited about the first knitting gathering of engineers. But enough of my rambling, onto...

Things I am in Love With














The Cables and O's Cardigan from No Sheep For You. I have yet to buy the book, but Amy's blog has enabled me in my love for this cardigan. Simple design, no wool, looks amazing. I am in love. The only itsy detail I am not sure on is the sleeve length. I was resolved in my decision to buy the book and knit this cardigan, for it was above and beyond anything else I had seen. But then, I saw on another blog the Dollar and a Half Cardigan from IK magazine. I had seen another view of the sweater on another blog and really like the sweater, then the detail view sold me. Simple, elegant, not busy, and with full sleeves. I feel so conflicted. I think it may be a matter of what do I knit first, not what do I knit... Right now I am leaning towards the IK sweater, but can't decided if I like the pattern more, or just the color. But right now I am still in the early stages of pattern infatuation, so who can tell?
My other project in line is my plan for the Granite Silk I ordered from Colour Mart. I played with some stitch patterns, but Love the branching out pattern, so I think that I will just swatch the pattern until I can actually manage it without screwing up royally. I have tried swatching the pattern I think three times now and have yet to get past the third line on the chart due to miscounting number of CO stitches, or forgetting the purl row in between patterned rows. But I will persevere, because this scarf is for my mother, who informed me in no uncertain terms that I was to make her a scarf. She did this in her standard way over winter break, when upon seeing the scarves I had knit for some friends of mine (who had sworn to me that they do in fact wear scarves) that "you have never made me a scarf." Of course the fact that I have never seen her wear a scarf factored into this. I mentioned this to her, and she told me "I wear scarves!" I remained skeptical, but on my last visit home I spotted a scarf in her room that I had not seen before, and she assured me that she did in fact wear it (which was sad because I really liked it :-P), so with this evidence I will embark upon the scarf. But only because Knit Picks has pulled their Cotlin due to enthusiastic knitter buying over half their stock (or so the Coffee Shop gossip goes) and I cannot start on either of my beloved sweaters until the yarn comes back. And because I love my mother, of course :-P

1 comment:

KnittingNutter said...

My vote's with the IK magazine sweater. And that's too funny, I also have my eye on the Branching Out scarf for my mother. I'll see how you make out before I venture into lace-land...