Monday, March 5, 2007

The First

I have decided to start a blog. More than that, I have started to start a blog and not tell anyone about it. At least not anyone I see on a regular basis. I told DBF that I was thinking of starting a blog and his reaction was less than supportive, so we'll see how this all works out and then perhaps let people outside of the casual clickers know.
This blog will be more than personal ramblings. I do not fancy myself so interesting. This blog will shamelessly catalog, admire, commiserate, and discuss my WIPs, because my friends in real life just don't get it. Perhaps a recipe and interesting link will be thrown in as well. Oh, and of course, this will server as the place to finally put use to that beautiful DSLR that has been feeling so neglected since I stopped taking photo classes.
Without further ado...

The WIPs


The Watch Cap
This hat started life as scratchy blue yarn bought off of e-bay. I wanted wool yarn with which to make a sweater and perhaps some socks. The blue "worsted" weight yarn that came was scratchy, the heaviest worsted weight I have seen, and in a color I didn't care for. The solution? Swatch, try felting, discover the wool does not felt, remember the packets of black cherry koolaide in the cabinet, play with a small hank of yarn and discover a blue yarn + black cherry koolaide=beautiful burgundy. I loved the color I got, unfortunately the intended recipient of the sweater is not big into red. So I try to find blue koolaide. No luck. I look for green koolaide, no luck. So I pick up Lemonade koolaide, grape koolaide, orange koolaide, and lime jello. Several hours later, I have three skeins of yarn, none of whom have colors that work for my sweater. However, my orange koolaide dyed yarn looked like a prime canidate for a watch cap. A little internet searching yielded this pattern. Simple, elegant, easy to memorize: a perfect traveling pattern. After a few days of knitting on the bus, and through Comparative Literature discussions, I am ready for the decreases. I was in the middle of class at the time so I sort of figured out what the pattern said and started. As soon as I got home I checked the pattern to make sure the decrease pattern was correct (looking for the first time since starting the hat, and realize that I should have turned the brim about half a hat ago. Oops. I'll finish, see how much it bugs me.

More WIPs to be listed later :-)

4 comments:

Stickyfingers said...

Hi Erica! Welcome to blog land!

I hear what you're saying about people not getting your WIPs. I have the same issue. I've also found release in a blog.

Your yarn colours look great!

April said...

Oh yes, I know what it is to have a less than supportive SO when it comes to blogging. Apparently it is the height of nerdiness. Which I am okay with. :)

I love your dyed yarn! The different colors turned out awesome. I love how the blue shows through a bit on the orange, making it slightly verigated. Just great. :)

KnittingNutter said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm a new blogger too and am already making likeminded friends - basically people who wouldn't look at me sideways when I start talking about yarn and patterns and more yarn and more patterns.

Katura said...

Welcome! I started my blog for similar reasons, not everyone LOVES Knitting as much as I do so I had to find a place to ramble on and on and on about it!