Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Frog Pond

The Hat
I decided that the untwisted stitches on the hat's brim looked more "glaring mistake" than "design element", so I frogged. However, looking over the pattern again, it required turning the work after 22 rows, and the idea of leaving a hole and strange looking stitch where I turned the hat doesn't really appeal... So instead I decided that rather than just twist my knit stitches, I would twist my purl stitches as well. It works out great for me, since I knit combination anyway, I can just work my stitches like I would if I were working flat rather than in the round. Inspired by the "How do you knit?" thread at the Knitty Coffee shop, I decided to document my rather unique way of knitting that is working out perfectly for my hat.

My Knit Stitch
With yarn in the back of work, insert needles into the back loop of the first stitch on the needle from front to back. Wrap yarn clock ways (under then over then needle) around the needle, and pull through an off. Working yarn is on the back of the needle. This twists a stitch, or untwists a continental purl in the previous row.


My Purl Stitch
Insert the needle into the front loop of the first stitch of the needle, from front to back. Wrap the working yarn counterclockwise around the needle (under then over the needle), pull through then off. Working yarn is at the front of the needle.


Sour Dough Starter
In other news, I am excited because the flour and water I left out on my counter for three days, then neglected in my refrigerator for a month did in fact catch the yeasty beasties as intended, and is now foaming happily on my counter waiting to be made into delicious bread. I think I am finally getting the knack of bread making down, and am now very excited to try baking with no commercial yeast and perhaps producing some "San Francisco Sourdough" in my kitchen. Oh yeah, I am excited by bread and yarn.

Hot and Sour Soup
Oh but yarn and bread do not define me, for I have other loves. At the moment I am having a love affair with curry. Introduced to it about two years ago I am finally moving beyond eating it whenever I can at restaurants, I have moved on to attempting to cook it. Inspired by this post, I have attempted a potato cauliflower curry dish. Doing (mostly) what the recipe said the first time round, I went to the Thai market on my way home to pick up more cauliflower, as well as some bell peppers to try. Through no fault of my own, while in the produce section I was seduced by a Hot and Sour Soup kit. With its pre-made base, with simple easy to follow cooking instructions, packaged with actual fresh ingredients, I couldn't resist. And its so pretty too :-). And now I have three culinary adventures to embark upon in my near future, which is a good thing since my Colour Mart shipment with my Granite Mix Silk isn't due for a number of days.

2 comments:

Katura said...

Yay, Bread! I also find bread to be essential to life ;)
If you enjoy cooking and knitting,
Check out this cool Podcast I found a while back! Faith is great!
http://theknittingcook.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=189395#

KnittingNutter said...

You milti-talented/tasking woman you. Today is international women's day, so roar a little louder.