Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Weekend


My migraine has subsided to the point where I can look at a computer again! I have been getting headaches, and finally went into see someone about it on Saturday, and found out that I have been getting migraines, and the bread that I made Friday, which turned out wonderfully, may be a trigger for migraines. I never knew that fresh baked yeast bread was a trigger, but apparently it is. So I suppose that spells the end of my bread making adventures. Just when I was beginning to get and idea of how to do things right. Though I think my sadness at the loss of fresh baked yeast breads cannot quite hold a candle to my mourning over the fact that chocolate is a common trigger. I will have to find a way to cope. Though what really got me annoyed is te fact that the Excedrin Migraine I have been taking for the headaches probably got me addicted to caffeine and started triggering migraines through caffeine withdrawal headaches. So I stopped taking Excendrin, and spent Saturday, Sunday and Monday wearing sunglasses, and unable to do essentially anything. Except knit. I swatched Branching out in some spare yarn, and decided that I didn't particularly like how it was looking. So I swatched a feather and fan pattern in the yarn I am using for my Mom's scarf (it arrived Friday :-) ), and didn't like the loose stitches. I went online (quickly) and found a lace pattern called Falling Water that struck my fancy, and started in on that pattern. I love how it looks, and I had the pattern memorized after the second repeat. I am very happy with how it is turning out, and its exactly what I was picturing for my Mum's scarf: very light and flowing.
I felt slightly guilty over knitting up a scarf rather than working on my sister's afghan, but after discovering that while attempting to crochet with a migraine that I managed to turn the row before actually reaching the edge, I decided that sticking with knitting worked for me. So overall, a very productive knitting weekend. All I have to worry about now is catching up on the academics that don't cooperate enough to be worked on while in pain :-\

3 comments:

KnittingNutter said...

I sympathise on the migraines as I also get them. Add to the fresh bread and chocolate - red wine and cheese, which are also triggers...

Lovely lace patterns - glad you could put in some productive time.

Christy said...

Ack! The loss of fresh bread stinks, but your scarf is really pretty. I was thinking of making the falling leaves scarf for my mom, but I think I like the pattern that you found better.

ZantiMissKnit said...

That falling water scarf is on my "to-knit" list as well. I tried Branching Out as well, but wasn't happy with how it looked.