Wednesday, November 28, 2007

New Yarn!

Today I began shopping for my SP :-) I am trying to get everything thats local to me, so it is really something out of the ordinary. That means, of course, no package could be complete with Ghiradelli Chocolate. Tomorrow I am going to hunt down some Scharfenberger chocolate as well, so the full range of local chocolate companies is represented :-). I got some gorgeous yarn, spun and died in California, made specially for my LYS - it says so right on the label. I would show pictures, but its supposed to be a surprise :-P
While I was at the LYS, I saw a gorgeous spiral scarf in mohair-silk yarn, and had to have one. I am planning on crocheting mine rather than knitting, because in the case of this type of pattern it is 100% easier to go with the hook rather than the sticks. The yarn is Silk Cloud from Shibuiknits in the Mulberry colorway. Absolutely gorgeous, and very soft. I look at Kidsilk Haze from Rowan as well, but it wasn't nearly as soft, and felt scratchy to me. The Silk Cloud doesn't seem scratchy at all. Since my mother insists that she and my sister are allergic to wool, and more so to Mohair, I am a little worried, but I am becoming more and more convinced it is all in their heads. I can't stand wool in commercially bought items, but things I make don't seem to bother me. Besides, I get Scottish blood from my dad: if my ancestors were allergic to wool they would have died from hypothermia. Last summer when the temperatures hit the 80's in Scotland, I heard that some people were dying from heat stroke. When it is in the 80's here I carry along a light sweater in case I get cold. By the time it hits the 60's I am in my winter coat and scarves. Perhaps my Scottish blood isn't dominant after all :-P

1 comment:

Monica said...

ooooh... that is beautiful yarn! Love the color :)